On September 1, 1998, the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased from Richard and Edith Almy, the development rights to Plat 2, Lot 1. This property is located on the east side of West Main Road. The property is comprised of 33.15 acres of farmland.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property, in January 2016. The report outlines the history of the property as well as land uses(see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: Periodic historic aerial photographs dating back to 1939 show the long agricultural history of the Premises. Early photos show the current conservation area bisected into six separate fields by a number of dividing stonewalls. This configuration was maintained until sometime in the 1980s. In 1959-1961, the Watson Reservoir was constructed adjacent to the Premises by the City of Newport.
Current Land Use: The Premises are currently being farmed by Pete Peckham of Ferolbink Farm and are used to grow winter squash, pumpkins, potatoes, and corn. The Premises were protected by a Deed to Development Rights with the Little Compton Agricultural Land Conservancy Trust (LCACT) on September 30, 1996. The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service provided some of the funding to purchase these rights, giving NRCS a position as a back-up holder. On May 11, 2001 an Agreement & Assignment was executed between the LCACT and the State of Rhode Island Agricultural Land Preservation Commission (ALPC) giving the ALPC a stake in the protection of development rights on the Premises as well.