The BHS property Management, LLC. property was purchased in fee, by the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust on October 6, 2020. This property is comprised of three separate lots known as Plat 38, Lots 16-2, 34, and 35 -1. The three lots total 9.96 acres (Lot 16-2 = .66 acres, Lot 34= 9.2 acres and Lot 35-1 = .10 acres). These lots are located on the east side of Amesbury Lane.
A baseline documentation report was completed on these properties during the months of April and May 2021. The report outlines the history of the property as well as it’s (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Protected Property has a long agricultural history. Early historic photographs from 1939 show the full extent of the property in agricultural use. In aerial photography from 1962 and 1972, the land is all still open, with the exception of the far northeastern corner adjacent to the stream channel. In the next available photo, from 1981, cedar trees have colonized the fields on the east side of the property. From that point forward, it appears that no management of the eastern half of the property has taken place and grown has continued.
Current Land Use: Today, the Protected Property is a combination of mown fields, ruderal forest, and a small bit of wetland forest immediately along the stream channel in the northeastern corner. Historic fieldstone walls bound the property on all sides and divide it into three separate fields and the laneway.