On December 1, 1994, Mr. Frederick Bissinger donated the development rights to the property then known as Plat 5, Lot 40, to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. The donation consisted of 124.00± acres of farmland. The property was subdivided in 2013 into three lots known as Plat 5, Lots 40-2, 40-5 and 38-1. The development rights restriction remained with the acreage of each new lot.
The acreage, for each newly created lot, is as follows: Plat 5, Lot 38-1 contains 4.87 acres of the original 124.00± acre property, Lot 40-2 contains 15.08 acres of the original 124.00± acre property and Lot 40-5 contains 104± acres of the original 124.00± acre donation.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in February 2016. The report outlines the history of the property as well as land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: Periodic historic aerial photographs show the long agricultural history of the Premises. In early photos from 1939, the start of the existing building complex is present, surrounded by agricultural fields; much of the wet now in woodland has only recently been released from agricultural use. In these earliest available photos, a cluster of four open ponds are clearly visible – one of these is now completely vegetated. In photos from 1951, revegetation has continued, the building complex has expanded, and the “clambake site’ located south of the primary residence has been established. Sometime between the 1962 and 1972 photos, the large pond located on Lot 40-3 was added. Since that time, the configuration of the Premises has remained similar to what is found there today.
Current Land Use: The Premises contain wooded wetland, several small ponds, coastal shrubland, cropland, and a medium-low density residential complex. All three lots of the Premises are currently owned by the Bissinger Family LLC. Agricultural portions of the property are leased for corn and hay production. Lot 40-4 contains a 2-family residence and two barns, in addition to the nearby “clambake area” which contains a variety of temporary infrastructure for outdoor parties and recreation. Lots 40-2 and 40-3 do not currently contain any permanent structures; each is restricted to agriculture and open space and to one single 2-acre building envelope.