The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the fee simple interest in Plat 41, Lot 11 and 14 on January 24, 2003, from the Boy Scouts of America. The “Boy Scout” property is located on Long Highway. It was conveyed to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust on January 24, 2003. The Little Compton Tax Assessor’s Map indicates that Lot 11 contains 7.8 acres of land and Lot 14 contains .87 acres. The property is wooded open space land.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in July 2019. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Premises as having been in agriculture in 1939. Aerial photography from that year shows the entire Premises was sparsely-forested pasture. The Premises continued a process of ecological succession throughout the decades to become the upland forest and forested swamp it is today. Subsequent to 1962 a small clearing is visible near the center of the Premises which today is an abandoned stone campfire ring. Surrounding this fire pit are the remains of the Rhode Island Boy Scouts campsite that was no longer used by time of acquisition by LCACT in 2003.
Current Land Uses: At present, the Premises is forested open land and not used for human needs directly. There is no planned public access in the form of parking, trails or signage.