On December 23, 2009, the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the development rights to Plat 37, Lot 65-2, from Sheila and Jeffrey Brady. Plat 37, Lot 65-2 is comprised of 11.782 acres of land, of which 9.945 are protected through a Deed to Development Rights and Conservation Restrictions document.
The development rights to Plat 37, Lot 65-2 were purchased, along with the development rights to a portion of Plat 37, Lot 64. Plat 37, Lot 64 is comprised of .87 acres of land. The Deed to Development Rights and Conservation Restrictions document encompasses this entire parcel. Both properties are located on Long Highway.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in March 2020. The report outlines the historic and current uses of the property (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Premises was historically used agriculturally for both grazing livestock and haying. Early historic photographs from as far back as 1939 show the Premises in use as a field. Sometime between 1962 and 1972, the farm pond near the northeast interior corner of the Premises was dredged, presumably for livestock watering. Sometime between 1997 and 2008, there was an increase in the use of the woodlot in the northeast corner of the Premises for agricultural related storage of hay bales and more recently farm equipment. Sometime between 2011 and 2014, a greenhouse was added to the southwest corner of the Premises. The general composition of the Premises is the same as it was in 1939.
Current Land Use: Today, the Premises consists of three fields that are grazed by a herd of beef cows and hayed. There is also a small section of woods that make up the northeast section of the Premises that is used partially for agricultural related storage. Almost all of the Premises exterior boundary are denoted by stonewall. There are two small farm ponds on the Premises. The Premises is in active agriculture. Various farm fencing, farm equipment, livestock care / feeding infrastructure, and a well are on the Premises. The Premises has a greenhouse, a storage container, farm structures for animal housing, and various farm supplies stored in the southwest corner of the Premises, which makes up the dooryard area of the Premises. The western boundary of the Premises bisects a farm building that was built sometime between 1997 and 2008.