The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the development rights to this property from Mr. Carlton Brownell, on May 12, 1989. The property is located on West Main Road.The preserved portion of the property contains 47.58 acres of farmland. The development rights to the property were purchased using Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust funds combined with a grant from RI Department of Environmental Management.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property during February – March 2019. The Report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its current land uses (see below). The entire report may be viewed on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Protected Property had been in agriculture since at least 1939. Aerial photography from that year shows the northwest, northeast, and southeast quadrants of the property were being tilled for crops. The southwest quadrant was pasture in the process of converting to forest in these earliest aerial photographs. Much of the southwest quadrant was reforested by 1972, and by 1981 the northwest quadrant began reforestation as well. The eastern portion was used for corn production until recent years.
Current Land Uses: At present, the eastern portion of the Protected Property is being managed to establish pasture for grazing livestock. The forested portion of the Protected Property is used to harvest firewood sporadically.