The property is located on Shaw Road. It consists of four (4) acres of open space land. The fee simple interest in this property was donated to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust via two (2) conveyances. The first conveyance took place on November 15, 1992. On this date, James and Kathryn Mulcahy donated the fee simple interest in two (2) acres of the property, to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. The second conveyance took place on October 24, 1994 when Mary Cissel Suttell, Sally Cissel Greenwood, John R. Cissel and Charles D. Cissel donated the remaining two (2) acres of fee simple interest to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in August 2021. The Report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its current land uses (see below). The entire report may be viewed on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The northwestern portion of the Premises, which is hayed today, was historically a hayfield. The southwestern portion of the Premises was most likely used as a grazing pasture and supporting woodlot for agriculture. Early historic aerial photographs, from as far back as 1939, show the Premises has a small watering area for livestock in the northwest portion of what is now wooded. Sometime between 1939 and 1951, a much larger livestock watering pond was dug in this area, along the southern portion of the eastern boundary of the Premises. The pond area still exists today, but is very filled in with silt and mostly overgrown. The area historically used for grazing, over time, mostly became overgrown and wooded. The most southeastern portion of the Premises is annually mowed to keep it open space. The general composition of the Premises is similar to how it was in 1939.
Current Land Uses: Today, the Premises is classified as cropland (tillable), the northwestern portion which is currently hayed, and deciduous forest (80% hardwood), with a portion of the forest classified as scrub-shrub wetland: shrub swamp. The most southeastern portion of the Premises is mowed annually to keep it as open space.