Mr. Robert H. Cole donated the fee simple interest in Plat 14, Lot 42, to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. The donation took place on March 11, 1991. The Cole property is located on Grange Avenue and consists of 2.7 acres of open space property.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on this property during the months of August 2019 thru March 2020. The Baseline Documentation Report reflect the condition of the Protected Property on August 21, 2020 and September 19, 2020. The Report outlines the history of the property as well as its current land uses.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Premises as having been in agriculture in 1939. Aerial photography from that year shows the entirety of the Premises was open pasture grassland. The Premises continued a process of ecological succession throughout the decade to become the grassland and upland shrub land it is today. In 1962 the grassland began sprouting shrubs, which has continued on the edges of the Premises where large hedgerows have grown over the last half century. In 1965 the current boundary of the Premises was created and a private road was built along the West and South edges of the Premises as a right of way to a homesite to the Southeast. In the decades since the central and most elevated area of the Premises remains open grassland with upland shrubland encroaching from the edges.
Current Land Uses: At present, the Premises is open grassland and upland shrubland and not used for human needs directly. The grassland portion of the Premises is mowed at least once a year. There is no planned public access in the form of parking, trails or signage.