The Colt Family donated the fee simple interest in Plat 16, Lots 71 and 74 to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. The donation was completed in 1995. The property (Lot 71) is located on Meadow Lane, west of Dundery Brook and north of Briggs Marsh. Lot 71 is comprised of 1.8 acres and Lot 74 totals 2.0 acres.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the Property in August 2019. The report outlines the property’s prior land uses and current land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Property has a long agricultural and auxiliary agricultural use. Early historic aerial photographs from as far back as 1939 show the Property in use as fields with some areas a bit scrubbier and a few trees, mostly used as a pasture for livestock. Stonewalls were present back as far as 1939 on the western and southern boundaries. Between 1939 and 1952, the Property was still open pasture. Between 1952 and 1962, the property started to re-vegetate. Between 1962 and 1972, the property was young woods, and from 1981 to present, the Property has been wooded.
Current Land Use: Today, the Property is wooded. Non-native invasive pressure is greatest on the northern, western and southern boundaries along Swamp Road to the north and along the stonewalls to the west and south. The center of the property is a fairly open maple deciduous forest with micro topography indicating areas of flowing or standing water at wetter times of the year.