On June 27, 2018, the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the fee simple interest in Plat 18, Lot 3-9A99, from Charles Costa. The property consists of 34.2 acres of land, located on Swamp Road. A portion of the property has historically been farmed and continues to be farmed currently. Corn is grown on the property. The remainder of the property is woodland/open space.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed for this property from the period of April 2020 -2021. The report outlines the history of the property and its current uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Protected Property has a long agricultural history. Early historic aerial photographs from 1939 show the full eastern side of the conservation area in open field, while the western (now wooded) portion appears thinner, younger woodland. A trail leading from the adjacent fields to a pond located in the western portion of the property suggests the pond was likely used for watering livestock. The configuration of land use on the property remained similar up through the 1970s. In aerial photographs from 1981, the northeast portion of the property appears as open agricultural land, whereas by 1988 it is overgrown with shrubs and vines, with just the remaining area of field remaining actively managed.
Current Land Uses: Today, the Protected Property is a combination of cornfield, wooded wetland, and ruderal wet shrubland. The boundaries are defined by historic fieldstone walls.