On December 28, 1992, Sagonet Meadows Association, donated to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust, the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 8-1. The property consists of 1.44 acres of farmland. Lot 8-1 was donated along with lots 8-2, 8-3 and 8-4. The entire donation totals 9.4 acres. The property is located on Burchard Avenue and is permanently restricted to agriculture or open space.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in March 2019. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Premises has a long agricultural history. Early historic aerial photographs from as far back as 1939 show the Premises in use as a pasture/hayfield. The composition of the Premises is very similar to that in 1939. The only change is the addition of a gravel driveway, which crosses the field to access the house on the back portion of Lot 8-1 (not included in the conservation area). The driveway was created sometime between 1997 and 2002 based on historical aerial photographs. This, most likely, corresponds with the building of the house on the back portion of Lot 8-1, built in 2003.
Current Land Use: Today, the Premises is a field. The field appears to be mowed on a regular basis to maintain lawn height vegetation. The edges of the field, along the stone walls, have been recently cleared of encroaching non-native invasives. Some native trees are newly planted along the edge of the field adjacent to Burchard Ave.