R. Gordon Douglas, Jr. donated the fee simple interest to this property, to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust, on December 22, 1994. Located on Grange Avenue, this property consists of 3.3 acres of open space, which is mowed annually. This property is depicted as Plat 14, Lot 51 on the Little Compton Tax Assessor’s Maps.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the Property on August 26, 2019. The report outlines the history of the Property as well as, it current uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Premises as having been in agriculture in 1939. Aerial photography from that year show the entirety of the Premises was a pasture. A stream channel is clearly visible traversing the premises as there is no forest cover at this time. Fieldstone walls are also visible in the 1939 imagery. The Premises continued a process of ecological succession throughout the decades to become the shrub swamp it is today. The 1962 historic imagery shows the small pond in the Southwest corner of the Premises very clearly. By 1972, the Western side of the Premises had begun reforestation. By 1997, only the Eastern portion of the Premises remained as open field, as it remains today.
Current Land Uses: At present, the Premises is open land and not used for human needs directly. The Eastern meadow portion is mowed at least once a year. There is no planned public access in the form of parking, trails or signage.