Attorney Stetson (Tack) Eddy donated the fee simple interest in this property to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy, on December 14, 1995. The property is comprised of fifty-four acres (54) of open space. The property is part of the Oak Forest Subdivision. Access is through a right-of-way from Long Highway or a right-of-way from Oak Forest Drive.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in February – March 2020. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, it’s current uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Premises has been a forested swamp and therefore difficult to access since the end of the most recent glacial period approximately 15,000 years ago. Early European colonizers cleared two-thirds of Rhode islands forests for agriculture, leaving only 31% of the state forested by the time of the first statewide forest survey in 1767. The Premises were most likely never used for agriculture due to the hydric soils and the continuous presence of water in the swamp. The earliest available aerial imagery from 1939 shows thin hardwood forest cover with a stand of conifers ( most likely P. strobus and C. thyoides) located on the eastern side of the Premises. In the 1939 imagery, a network of winding paths is visible, formed either by livestock or human activity on the Premises. The succeeding decades brought a regime of uninterrupted growth for the Premises, allowing the forested swamp to develop lofty and continuous canopy unmarred by direct anthropogenic activities.
Current Land Uses: At present, the Premises is a densely forested swamp throughout. This quality alone limits agricultural and recreation activities within the 54 acres of the Premises. The Grantor of the Premises, Attorney Stetson (Tack) Eddy, stipulated in the Warranty Deed that he, his family or any other town resident may hunt on the Premises in accordance with municipal and state law. Hunting is permitted by permission on LCACT-owned properties at this time, though no signs of hunting were observed during the eight hour survey of the Premises. There is no planned public access in the form of parking, trails or signage.