On this March 1 1991, the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 19-12, from Judith L. Gilbert and Robert Gilbert. The property consists of 5.34 acres of the land and is located on High Meadow Road. The property is farmland and must remain in agriculture.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in May 2019. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its current land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Property has a long agricultural history. Early historic aerial photographs from as far back as 1939 show the Property in use as a pasture/hayfield. The Property appears to be an open field bordered by a rock wall with no roads until 1988. Sometime between 1988 and 1997, farm roads were added to the perimeter of the Property. In 2003, it appears that some row crops or nursery stock or Christmas trees were cultivated on the east and west sides of the Property. Aerial photographs from 2006 clearly show some degree of nursery stock cultivation on the east and west sides of the Property. Since 2003, the center of the Property appears to be scrubby brush and small tree, but kept mostly open.
Current Land Use: Today, the property is formerly cultivated overgrown areas with mowed edges. The west side of the Property is opened with some material storage, the center of the Property is scrubby brush and small trees, and the east side of the Property is over-mature nursery stock or Christmas trees and a mix of non-invasives. Stone walls border three of the Property’s boundaries.