The Kean Property is located on Swamp Road. The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the development rights to the property from Mr. John Kean. The development rights purchase, for Plat 15, Lot 1 and Lot 2 was completed on November 9, 1995. Lot 1 contains 6.8 acres of land and Lot 2 contain 1.92 acres of land. The property is a farmland property. The Kean property abuts the Southworth property, which has also been preserved through a Deed to Development Rights.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property during the months of March thru July 2019. The report outlines the history of the property as well as its land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Premises as having been in agriculture since at least 1939. Aerial photography from that year shows the Premises cleared for grazing down to the edge of Briggs Marsh. By 1981, the Premises had begun a course of secondary succession leading to the mix of open meadow coastal shrub-scrub, and marsh habitat that exists today.
Current Land Uses: At present, there is a mowed path that crosses the length of the Premises. The northern corner of the Premises is mowed for hay production. The majority of the Premises (~1.8 acres) is open meadow, coastal scrub-shrub, and marsh habitat.