The Kean Property is located on Swamp Road. The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the development rights to the property from Mr. John Kean. The development rights purchase, for Plat 15, Lot 1 and Lot 2 was completed on November 9, 1995. Lot 1 contains 6.8 acres of land and Lot 2 contain 1.92 acres of land. The property is a farmland property.The Kean property abuts the Southworth property, which has also been preserved through a Deed to Development Rights.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on this property during the months of March thru July 2019. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Premises as having been in agriculture since at least 1939. Aerial photography from that year shows the Eastern portion of the Premises was used for hay production and the Western portion was shrubland sloping down to the edges of Briggs Marsh. Around the turn of the century, the Western portion of the Premises that was in hay production was tilled up for field crops.
Current Land Uses: At present, the eastern portion of the Premises is being managed for field crops. The western portion of the Premises scrub-shrub and marsh habitat.