The “Keeney” property was donated to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust, by Keeney North Limited Partnership. This conveyance took place on May 7, 2004, via a Warranty Deed. The “Keeney” property is listed as Plat 14, Lot 14-3 in the Little Compton Assessors’ Plat Map book. Located on Grange Avenue, this property consists of 2.5 acres of land.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on this property during September 2019 – February 2020. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its current land uses (see below). The entire report may be viewed on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The oldest records available show the Premises as having been in agricultural in 1939. Aerial photography from that year shows the entirety of the Premises was farmland. A personal communication from a neighbor of the Premises told of the town “Poor Farm” once occupying the site. Mid-20th century aerial imagery shows the Premises crossed by several livestock paths, and small trees return to the landscape by 1962. The Premises continued to be used for agricultural purposes through the end of the 20th century and up to the present day.
Current Land Uses: The Premises contains open fields that are currently mowed at least once a year. The fieldstone walls and small pond that once were clearly in historic satellite imagery are now obscured beneath shrubs and trees. There is no planned public access in the form of parking, trails or signage.