The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the fee simple interest in Plat 11, Lot 23-1 from Ann Marvell Kirwin, William Chandler Kirwin, Edward Brayton Marvell, Elizabeth Kirwin Misener, Meghan Dickenson Kirwin, Rhonda Marvell, Thomas Brayton Marvell, Diane Marvell, Alice Marvell, Mary Marvell, Philemon T. Marvell and Marvell Family Limited Partnership. The purchase took place on November 25, 2015 and was executed via a Warranty Deed with Restrictive Covenants. The property is located on Warren’s Point Road and consists of 13.0 acres of land. Plat 11, Lot 23-1 abuts Long Pond.
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property in October 2019. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its current land uses. The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: The Property has a long history of agricultural use and open space. Early historic aerial photographs from as far back as 1939 show the Property as an open field, but seemingly scrubby fields (most likely pasture). Even then it appears that the access point is a grass lane on the north end of the Property. Between 1939 and 1951, it appears as though most of the Property was allowed to regrow as scrubby woods. The lane on the north end is still present and the western side of the Property along Long Pond was kept somewhat more clear. Between 1951 and 1962, the Property became more densely wooded and scrubby. The lane to the north, still was maintained and used. Also the western Long Pond edge was kept slightly more clear. Also during this time period, a large center swath was cleared along where the pond on the Property is now located. Between 1962 and 1972, the Property was recleared with the majority of the Property in open fields. A center swath of trees remained, just north of the Property’s pond. And the southeastern corner also remained uncleared. During this period of time, a farm pond was added at the center of the Property. The Property remained very similar until somewhere between 1988 and 1997, when more woods/brush was cleared leaving just the center swath and a small area just southwest of the pond on the Property. By 1997, it appears that the pond on the Property was quite filled in with sediment. The current condition of the Property is very similar to what it was in 1997.
Current Land Uses: Today, the Property consists of fields, scrubby shrub areas, wooded areas, wetlands, one pond and an area of brackish marsh along Long Pond. The fields appear to be mowed a few times during the growing season. Some areas are maintained at more of a lawn height around the perimeter and a northern lane leading to Long Pond, while most areas are more of a meadow height. The Property has a stonewall to the south and east. A stonewall is just north of the northern boundary of the Property. A very narrow access lane exists from Warren’s Point Road onto the Property. The adjacent landowner maintains this at lawn height.