Sagonate Meadows

5.85 Acres
Plat 26 / Lot 19-21

On December 12, 2002, Elizabeth B. Cobb, David J. Ahearn, Jennifer A. Ahearn, Albert B. Staebler, Robert H. Sayer,IV., and Susan L. Sayer donated the development rights to portions of their properties, to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. These properties are located on Plat 26, and are known as Lots 19-7, 19-15, 19-21, 19-22A99, and 8-2. Although each lot is owned individually, they are recorded on a single Deed to Development Rights.

David J. Ahearn and Jennifer A. Ahearn donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 19-21 and 19-22. Lot 19-21 contains 10.261 acres of land. The development rights on this property cover 5.853 acres of the property. Lot 19-22A99 contains 8.529 acres of land.  The development rights conveyed on this property totals 5.686 acres.

The development rights to Lot 19-7 were donated by Albert B. Staebler. This property contains 6.2± acres of land. The Deed to Development Rights indicates that the development rights area contains 176,953 square feet of land or 4.04 acres.

Elizabeth Cobb donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 19-15. This property is comprised of 2.72 acres. The development rights on this property covers 31,361 square feet or .72 acres.

Robert H. Sayer, IV. and Susan L. Sayer donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 8-2. Lot 8-2 contains 4.315 acres of lands. The 2002 Deed to Development Rights protects .934 acres of this property. It must be noted that on December 28, 1992, Joseph J. Dabek and David J. Ahearn, had donated the development rights to 2.06 acres of property on Lot 8-2. Therefore in total 2.94 acres of the 4.315 acres are currently preserved.

A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on Plat 26, Lot 19-21, in June 2019. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its land uses (see below).  The entire report is available on this website.

Prior Land Uses: The Property has a long agricultural history.  Early historic photographs as far back as 1039 show the Property in use as a pasture/hayfield.  Sometime between 1997 and 2006, conifers were planted on the northern  and northeastern boundary of the property.  In 2014, aerial photographs show some of the material and compost storage at the south end of the Property.  The composition of the Property is very similar to that in 1939.

Current Land Uses: Today, the Property is a hayfield and some trees.  The field appears to be cut for hay at least once a year and the edges are mowed to short lawn height.  Some conifers are planted along the northern and eastern edges of the Property.  There is a small section at the southern end of the Property that is a tree nursery and just south of that, an area used for material storage and compost.  Stone walls border the south and southwestern Property boundaries.