Sagonate Meadows

5.69 Acres
Plat 26 / Lot 19-22A99

On December 12, 2002, Elizabeth B. Cobb, David J. Ahearn, Jennifer A. Ahearn, Albert B. Staebler, Robert H. Sayer,IV., and Susan L. Sayer donated the development rights to portions of their properties, to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. These properties are located on Plat 26, and are known as Lots 19-7, 19-15, 19-21, 19-22A99, and 8-2. Although each lot is owned individually, they are recorded on a single Deed to Development Rights.

David J. Ahearn and Jennifer A. Ahearn donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 19-21 and 19-22A99. Lot 19-21 contains 10.261 acres of land. The development rights on this property cover 5.853 acres of the property. Lot 19-22A99 contains 8.529 acres of land. The development rights conveyed on this property totals 5.686 acres.

The development rights to Lot 19-7 were donated by Albert B. Staebler. This property contains 6.2± acres of land. The Deed to Development Rights indicates that the development rights area contains 176,953 square feet of land or 4.04 acres.

Elizabeth Cobb donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 19-15. This property is comprised of 2.72 acres. The development rights on this property covers 31,361 square feet or .72 acres.

David J. Ahearn and Jennifer A. Ahearn donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 19-21 and 19-22A99. Lot 19-21 contains 10.261 acres of land. The development rights on this property cover 5.853 acres of the property. Lot 19-22A99 contains 8.529 acres of land. The development rights conveyed on this property totals 5.686 acres.

Robert H. Sayer, IV. and Susan L. Sayer donated the development rights to Plat 26, Lot 8-2. Lot 8-2 contains 4.315 acres of lands. The 2002 Deed to Development Rights protects .934 acres of this property. It must be noted that on December 28, 1992, Joseph J. Dabek and David J. Ahearn, had donated the development rights to 2.06 acres of property on Lot 8-2. Therefore in total 2.94 acres of the 4.315 acres are currently preserved.

A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on Plat 26, Lot19-22A99 in June 2019.  The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its current land uses (see below).  The entire report is available on this website.

Prior Land Uses: The Property has a long agricultural history.  Early historic photographs from as far back as 1939 show the Property is use as pasture with woods and a farm pond.  Sometime between 1962 and 1972, some of the scrubby pasture just north of the pond grew to be a more of a wooded landscape.  The composition of the Property is very similar to that in 1939.

Current Land Uses: Today, the Property is pasture, woods, a large farm pond, and a small farm pond. The field appears to be mowed and grazed.  Most of the pasture portion of the Property is fenced with livestock fencing and a neighbor’s sheep flock grazes on the Property rotationally and seasonally.  Stone walls border some of the Property’s boundaries.  The land stewardship of this Property is exemplary of a balanced marriage between agriculture and wildlife habitat.