The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust partnered with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to preserve Plat 19, Lots 40-5 thru 40-9. The preservation of these lots were achieved through the purchase of a Conservation Easement from Mr. Earl Samson. These properties are located on South of Commons Road. The amount of land the Conservation Easement protects on each lot is as follows:
Plat 19, Lot 40-5: 3.1 acres, Plat 19, Lot 40-6: 1.80 acres, Plat 19, Lot 40-7: 2.6 acres,
Plat 19, Lot 40-8: 3.6 acres, Plat 19, Lot 40-9: 2.30 acres
A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on these properties in May 2014. The report outlines the history of the property, as well as, its’ land uses (see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: Based on the examination of historical aerial photographs, it appears the Premises have been in similar agricultural and underdeveloped state since at least 1939. Periodic aerial photography from 1952, 1962, 1972 and more recent dates all show similar conditions to those found on the property today, with the exception of changes in the amount of shrub cover in lot 40-8. The eastern portion of Lot 40-8 was wooded in 1939, clear in 1951 through 1981, but shrubby again in 1988. Some time between 1988 and 1992, grapevines were planted in Lots 40-5 and 40-7.
Current Land Uses: Currently, the Premises are owned by Earle A. Samson and are protected by a Conservation Easement with the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust and the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). The Premises consist of open space and agricultural land. A portion of the property is planted in grapevines, while the remainder is open pastureland with a large farm pond.