On November 21, 2007, the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust purchased the developments right to Treaty Rock Farm, from Helen Richmond Webb, Josephine Richmond, and Lawre Goodnow. The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust partnered with the USDA-NRCS, and the State of Rhode Island, Land Preservation Commission to purchase these development rights. Treaty Rock Farm is comprised of four separate lots, known as Lots 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 and 1-6 all located on Plat 5 of the Little Compton Assessors Map Book. Together the total development rights purchased are 97.3 acres. The property is located on West Main Road. A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on the property, in August 2007. The report outlines the history of the property as well as land uses(see below). The entire report is available on this website.
Prior Land Uses: This tract of land was originally purchased from the Sakonnet Tribe by Captain Edward Richmond, in 1673 and is the only land grant family-owned farmland parcel in Little Compton remaining fundamentally intact. During the King Phillip’s War in 1675, a rocky outcropping on the premises became the stage for a treaty reached between Benjamin Church and Sachem Awashonks of the Sakonnet Tribe. Farming has continued on the Premises since its acquisition by the Richmond family in the late 1600’s.
Current Land Uses: Today, beef cattle, and sheep are raised on the Premises. Hay is also produced. Approximately 90 acres of the Premises are currently leased to a tenant farmer, while the remainder is farmed by one of the three owners, Josie Richmond and her husband.
Proposed Future Uses: It is intended that portions of the Premises covered by the Deed to Development Rights will be forever maintained in an open undeveloped state and that management and use of the Premises will seek to protect the agricultural resources, water resources, open space values, wildlife habitat values, historic and educational values, and scenic vista.