Trowbridge, Stone, Erdman

4.38 Acres
Plat 12 / Lot 69-1

On November 16, 1994, Charles and Barbara Trowbridge, Carroll and Barbara Erdman, and Henry and Jean Stone, donated the fee simple interest in Plat 12, Lots 69-1 and 69-2 to the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust. According to the Little Compton Tax Assessor’s Maps, Lot 69-1 consists of 4.384 acres and Lot 69-2 consists of 97,244 square feet (2.23 acres).Both properties are open space properties. Lot 69-1 is located on the corner of Sakonnet Pont Road and Warren’s Point Road. Lot 69-2 is adjacent to Lot 69-1.

A Baseline Documentation Report was completed on this property in August 2020.  The report outlines the history of the property as well as, it’s current uses (see below).  The entire report is available on this website.

Prior Land Uses: The Property was most likely used historically as pasture and/or as a hayfield.  From between 1939 and 1952, the Property was completely clear and open, even more so than today.  By 1962, much of the Property had grown up in trees.  Most of the southwestern portion of the Property, about two-thirds, was in tree cover.  The northwest portion of the Property appears to have had a dense tree cover at this time.  From 1962 to 1988, there were many more tree interspersed within the field, probably indicating that the field was used as pasture, as opposed to hayfield.

Current Land Use: Today, the Property is an open field with a pond at the center of the Property.  An inlet runs from the northern boundary of the Property southeast into the pond and a less substantial outlet from the pond runs southeast to the southeast corner of the Property.  The eastern portion of the Property is classified as pasture (agricultural not suitable for tillage.)  The western portion of the Property is classified as idle agriculture (abandoned fields and orchards).  The property has various wetlands classifications: (forested wetlands, emergent wetland: marsh/wet meadow, scrub shrub swamp, and palustrine open water.  There is currently a path mowed in the northeast corner of the Property to facilitate lily observation.  It appears that the field is mowed at least once annually.